Software applications and tools
Reference Management Software
A library guide to reference management software applications, and how to choose one.
The library supports EndNote, and University of Melbourne staff and students can download it for free.
A web-based application that University of Melbourne staff and students can access through the library for free.
Discovery for mobile devices
You can access Discovery from any mobile device using this web link:
You can also use the EBSCOhost app to access Discovery from your iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad) and Android devices:
After you have downloaded the app follow these instructions for full access to Discovery:
- Try any search in Discovery on a PC or Mac.
- Log in using your unimelb login and password.
- Click the link: 'EBSCOhost iPhone and Android Applications' at the bottom of the page.
- Enter an email address you can easily access from your mobile device.
- View the email from EBSCO on your mobile device.
- Click the 'authentication key' link.
Set your Google Scholar preferences
When you are using Google Scholar off-campus you should set your preferences so that you can link to full-text content available through the Library:
- Go to Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com
- Click the Settings link at the top-right of the page.
- Click the Library links option to the left.
- Enter: 'University of Melbourne Library' in the search box and click the search button.
- Tick the checkbox next to the option: 'University of Melbourne Library - SourceIt@Melbourne'.
- Click the 'Save' button.
'SourceIt @ Melbourne' links will then appear on the Google Scholar search results screen that you can click to access the full-text if it is available through the library.
LibX is a free browser extension for FireFox and Chrome that helps you to search and access library resources. For example you can:
- Click the LibX icon in your browser toolbar to search the library catalogue.
- Highlight any text in a webpage and right click for options to search for it in the library catalogue or Google Scholar.
- Right click for an option to reload any web page through the library's proxy making it appear as though you are using an on-campus computer.
Library blogs on software and tools
E-Resources@the University of Melbourne Blog
Information on new and trial databases and research tools.
University of Melbourne Learning Environments Blog
Tips for and news on the Learning Management System (LMS) and other technology.