Delivery times of book chapters and journal articles may be slower during peak periods. Delivery of items may be impacted by postal delays due to COVID-19. Requests for items which are currently out on loan may also be delayed until these items are returned.
Searching for online books, journal articles, case studies, and monographs?
Search our collections to see if the library has an online version.
- A search in Discovery – the library’s most comprehensive search option – is a great starting point.
- If you prefer to search in other ways (like Google Scholar), you can do that too if you have setup search tools such as ‘Find it@Unimelb’ links and ‘Lean Library’. These search tools will connect your search results to resources you have access to through the library.
- See troubleshooting for online access problems.
Searching for online videos?
The library has subscriptions to streaming video services, Kanopy and EduTV. Content in these services can be viewed remotely and embedded in Canvas LMS for students.
Kanopy contains a broad range of streamed video, including lots of independent films.
EduTV has 50,000+ broadcast programs from free-to-air and pay TV channels in Australia.
Two ways you can access content:
- If you have a specific title in mind, search for it in the Library catalogue and follow the link through to the streaming video.
- Search for either ‘Kanopy’ or ‘EduTV’ in the Library catalogue, and click through to browse for content within the service.
Other video databases are also available which focus on news, performances, short films, children’s stories, and a range of other educational content.
Searching for online audio music and spoken word?
Other databases are available offering streaming audio services.
Searching for etextbooks to make available to students for purchase?
Etextbooks are textbooks and readings that are accessible in digital formats. The library has subscriptions to two platforms that allow etextbooks to be made available for student purchase through Canvas LMS: VitalSource and Perusall. Find out more.
What if material you have searched for is not available online?
The library has several options to help.
The Library Print Retrievals service has closed. All library branches are open again for you to visit and borrow print materials. Or you can explore the options below to identify online readings.
If you still cannot access campus as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic please submit a request for a print retrieval at https://library.unimelb.edu.au/search-tools/online-access/find-electronic-material/_recache
- If the University doesn’t have the material you need electronically or in our print collections, you can ask a librarian to investigate other options, including:
- Requesting material from another library on your behalf
- Ordering an electronic copy from the publishers for the library collection, or negotiating with publishers to make an online copy temporarily available to you.
- If the resource you’re looking for is from the University of Melbourne Archives or part of a special collection, you can ask Archives and Special Collections to investigate access options for you. If you have already made a request via the Archives or Reading Room emails, you do not need to make another one here.
- Also, as an academic or student, you may want to use online collaborative tools like Mendeley, ResearchGate or Academia to connect to authors to see if they will share material with you.
- University Library branches
- Library Opening Hours
- Architecture, Building and Planning Library
- Baillieu Library
- Baillieu Library After Hours Study Zone
- Brownless Biomedical Library
- Brownless Biomedical Library After Hours Study Zone
- Burnley Campus Library
- Burnley Library After Hours Study Zone
- Creswick Campus Library
- Creswick Campus Library After Hours Study Zone
- Dookie Campus Library
- Eastern Resource Centre
- Eastern Resource Centre After Hours Study Zone
- Giblin Eunson Library
- Giblin Eunson Library After Hours Study Zone
- Grainger Museum
- Law Library
- Map Collection
- Reading Room
- Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences Library - Parkville
- J. A. Gilruth Library - Werribee
- Southbank library
- Southbank Hub After Hours Study Zone
- Reading Room
- Exhibition microsites
- News & Events
- Contact the Library