The Southbank Library provides a full range of services including:
- Reference enquiries
- Research consultations
- Borrowing and renewals (see below)
- Membership for alumni and members of the public
- Inter-library loans
- Inter-campus loans
- Inter-campus copy service
- CAVAL and national borrowing scheme
- High Use Collections (items for Library Use Only or overnight loan)
- BONUS+ borrowing scheme
- Disability support services
- Copying (bw/colour) and scanning
Borrowing and renewals
The borrowing and renewals service offered at the Southbank Library are similar to the services at other University Library branches. Conditions and procedures are outlined below. If you have any questions, please contact the Southbank Library.
Who can borrow from the Southbank Library
- Current University of Melbourne students (award courses) and staff
- Approved borrowers by special arrangement
- CAVAL registered borrowers from Victorian universities
- Those eligible for the University Libraries Australia scheme
Telephone +(61 3) 9035 9052
See the summary of borrowing conditions for all Library collections.
For those who are not current University of Melbourne staff or award course students there are a range of memberships available.
Please note that these memberships include borrowing of library materials. These memberships have limited access to electronic resources, media and other exceptions. University of Melbourne Alumni are eligible for a concession rate for loans at all Library branches.
For University of Melbourne staff and students:
- Interlibrary loans are available to University of Melbourne staff and graduate students. Honours students are eligible, but need to complete a paper request and obtain authorisation from their supervisor.
- Items can be requested from other libraries in Australia, and also overseas. The University of Melbourne Library bears the cost of these requests.
- To request an interlibrary loan, go to the University of Melbourne Library Interlibrary Loans page and select and complete the relevant request form. Please check the BONUS+ catalogue for holdings before you make requests.
For other libraries:
- Southbank Library lends books and scores from its collection on Interlibrary Loan. Standard fees are charged.
- Requests should be made via LADD. For inquiries, please phone +(61 3) 8344 5388 or
Borrowing and Fines
Information about borrowing and fines can be found on the Borrowing from the Library page. Fines are not payable until the total fines on your record reach or exceed A$25.00.
Hire of Orchestral and Choral Sets
The Southbank Library has an extensive collection of Orchestral and Choral sets which you can borrow.
Classes and tours
Please see the library page: