We provide access to books, journal articles, and other resources which are not available in our libraries.
Please note: If you are having a problem submitting your form please clear your browser cache and try to submit again. Also, using Internet Explorer works. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Who can use the service
- University of Melbourne academic and general staff
- Postgraduate research and higher degree students
- Honours students
- Final year undergraduate students doing research (with your supervisor's approval)
What happens when you place a request
We have two systems to supply you with external materials, ArticleReach Direct and Relais.
Requests for journal articles will be directed into the ArticleReach Direct system first. This ensures that articles are supplied in the fastest time possible. Sometimes we need to transfer the request into Relais to supply.
Please note: requests for articles will appear in your online library borrowing record, not in Relais, however, be aware that in some instances we transfer it to Relais in which case you will need to look there to see your request.
Requests for books and other materials will go straight into the Relais system.
Please note: requests for books will not appear in your online library borrowing record. Please log into Relais to manage your requests.
How to request
- Search our catalogue and the BONUS+ catalogue first.
- If you can't find what you need
- Search Discovery to find an online or hardcopy version of the journal article.
- If you can't find the article you need
- Click on the 'ArticleReach Direct' link and Discovery will fill out a request form with the article details, or
- Type your request directly into the ArticleReach Direct form.
Paper forms for final year undergraduates doing research
If you are a final year undergraduate student you need to fill in a paper form, get it signed by your supervisor and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Australian copyright laws apply to all inter-library loan requests.
Inter-library loans are usually free, however, you may have to pay if
there are high postage costs.
the request involves specialty reproduction services.
- you want to purchase a thesis.
We will confirm you want to go ahead if there are any charges.
- Books and microforms - 10 working days
- Journal articles - 10 working days
- Overseas loans - 2-8 weeks
Notification that your request is ready to collect
We will email you when your item is ready to collect.
Collecting your inter-library loan
We will email most journal articles. You can choose to have them sent by post or, arrange to collect them in person if you want. If we can't email the article we will contact you.
You can collect most books from the self-service area holds area of the Baillieu Library or you can select to collect from another campus library.
Items that can only be viewed in the library
Some material you need to use in the library or under supervision. If this is the case we'll let you know. You will need to ask the service desk staff to use the item. Please contact us if you need to have your item transferred to another campus.
Renewing an inter-library loan
Check the book strap to see if you can renew the item once.
Request to renew items a few days before the due date by
- logging into Relais and clicking the 'send message' button, or
- contacting the inter-library loans office during business hours.