You can use the inter-library loans service to access books, journal articles, and other resources not available in our libraries.
Who can use the service
- University of Melbourne academic and general staff
- Postgraduate research and higher degree students
- Honours students
- Final year undergraduate students doing research (with your supervisor's approval)
How to request
If you are eligible you will automatically have an account in Relais (our inter-library loans software) where you can manage your requests.
How to request
- Search our catalogue and the BONUS+ catalogue first.
- If you can't find what you need
- click on the 'Inter-library loans' button at the top of the screen, or
- Log in to Relais to enter your request.
- Search Discovery to find an online or hard copy version of the journal article.
- If you can't find the article you need
- Click on the 'Inter-library Loans' link and Discovery will fill out a request form with the article details, or
- Login to Relais to enter your request.
Paper forms for final year undergraduates doing research
If you are a final year undergraduate student you need to fill in a paper form, get it signed by your supervisor and hand it in at a library service desk.
Non-Roman language articles
This form is to order articles in non-Roman languages such as Chinese or Cyrillic.
Australian copyright laws apply to all inter-library loan requests.
Inter-library loans are usually free, however you may have to pay if
there are high postage costs.
the request involves specialty reproduction services.
- you want to purchase a thesis.
We will confirm you want to go ahead if there are any charges.
- Books and microforms - 10 working days
- Journal articles - 10 working days
- Overseas loans - 2-8 weeks
Notification that your request is ready to collect
We will email you when your item is ready to collect.
Collecting your inter-library loan
We will email most journal articles. You can choose to have them sent by post or, arrange to collect them in person if you want. If we can't email the article we will contact you.
You can collect most books from the self-service area holds area of the Baillieu Library or you can select to collect from another campus library.
Items that can only be viewed in the library
Some material you need to use in the library or under supervision. If this is the case we'll let you know. You will need to ask the service desk staff to use the item. Please contact us if you need to have your item transferred to another campus.
Renewing an inter-library loan
Check the book strap to see if you can renew the item once.
Request to renew items a few days before the due date by
- logging into Relais and clicking the 'send message' button, or
- contacting the inter-library loans office during business hours.