UMWA presents the Wikipedia Edit-a-thon: "I made the Internet smarter today" a one-day event on Friday 31 August 2018, where the research community comes together to improve Wikipedia content.
Join us for a relaxed day of Wikipedia editing, discussions, and upskilling. Hone your skills for communicating your research to the general public using Wikipedia as a platform! At lunchtime, we will be joining colleagues at La Trobe University for a virtual "#shutupandWiki" session, an hour of intensive editing.
New and experienced Wikipedians welcome. There will be time for your own Wikipedia work, with helpful Wikipedians on hand throughout the day to show newcomers how to make edits and create articles. Not sure where to start? There'll be a list of articles for you to work on. You will also get to create your own Wikipedia-themed badge.
When: Friday 31 August, 2018
- Parkville 10:00am - 4:00pm, followed by end-of event drinks & cheese 4:00-5:00pm
- Southbank - cancelled due to low registrations - please join the Parkville event
- Virtual 12:00pm - 2:00pm (via webinar)
What to bring to Parkville: BYO lunch and laptop. We will provide light refreshments throughout the day. WiFi network will be available.
Prepare: We recommend that prior to the event you:
- Sign up for an account (takes 1-2 minutes). Please consider your privacy when creating a username. See: Wikipedia's username policy
- Read this tutorial (takes 5-10 minutes)
While this is a full-day event you are welcome to drop in any time, but please let us know you are coming by registering.
Follow us on Twitter #UoMwiki #RLweek2018
The Digital Studio, Arts West (map)
|10.00 AM - 10.15 AM||Welcome, housekeeping & setup|
|10:15 AM -10:45 AM|
"I've done my research, now what?" Pru Mitchell (President, Wikimedia Australia) will address questions such as
|11:00 AM -11:45 AM||Introduction to Wikipedia editing (workshop) OR independent editing|
|12:00 PM - 12:30 PM||Introduction to Wikipedia editing (webinar) with Q&A |
Note: link will be sent to registrants prior to the event
|1:00 PM - 2:00 PM|
Virtual meet-up to join La Trobe University's "Shut Up & Wiki" (webinar)
|2:00 PM - 4:00 PM|
Independent editing and lightning talks on topics such as
|4:00 PM - 5:00 PM||End-of-event cheese & drinks|
- If you don’t already have a Wikipedia account, please create one. Please consider your privacy when creating a username.
- If you have time (and don't worry if you don't!):
- Take a look at Wikipedia’s editing tutorial.
- Watch this short How to Edit a Wikipedia Article video. Or this Learn to Edit series of Wikipedia editing videos (Art+ Feminism).
- Read these Wiki rules and guidelines that outline which subjects are notable enough to be included and who can edit them.
For more information about the Wikipedia-edit-a-thon event contact: firstname.lastname@example.org