The Faculty Applied Science, the first new faculty created since 1924, was the brainchild of J.N. Greenwood, Professor of Metallurgy.
He was convinced there was a place for Applied Science as distinct from Science or Engineering, but drawing on areas within those faculties and from other institutions outside the University. Greenwood was appointed foundation Dean and five courses were available from 1961: a General Course (with an emphasis on Applied Chemistry - Industrial Science from 1963), Electronics, Metallurgy, Dietetics and Optometry.
Numbers were few and in 1967 the Professorial Board recommended that it be discontinued by 1969. Dietetics, metallurgy and electronics were phased out. Industrial Science was absorbed into Engineering and Optometry flourished within the Science Faculty. From 1973 B. L. Cole acted as joint director of the Victorian College of Optometry and head of department before his appointment as foundation professor in 1978.