Key 57: Old Radiation Laboratory 1928; 1938


Built on the border of the Melbourne Teachers' College site the 'Old Radiation Laboratory' in 1938, the Commonwealth X-ray and Radium laboratory had first come into the University about 1928 under the general superintendence of Professor Laby. At that time it was partly in Old Physics (see above) and partly in a lead-lined basement under the Quadrangle Building. The Laboratory left the University in 1955 and the building is now absorbed into the Engineering precinct and jointly occupied by Chemical and Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering

Former Australian Radiation Laboratory
Former Australian Radiation Laboratory premises
[Source: University of Melbourne Archives, T.C. Chambers Collection, Accession No: 99/1]