In 1935 the Department of Bacteriology became independent of the department of Pathology and Dr H.A. Woodruff was appointed foundation professor
Under Woodruff Bacteriology had developed beyond the Diagnostic Unit and from 1931 it was a major subject within the Faculty of Science. The department was renamed Microbiology in 1948; in 1945 Sydney Rubbo had succeeded Woodruff as professor.
The Department moved into a new building on Royal Parade, close to the re-located medical precinct in 1965.