A diploma in Architecture had long been under discussion after Anketell Henderson was appointed part-time lecturer in Architecture in 1891. A diploma course was available from 1907 but no students enrolled until 1911. A building for the Atelier was opened in 1919, but much of the teaching was done in parts of the Anatomy building. Placed under a Board of Studies within the Engineering Faculty in 1922 the course gradually gained recognition until a separate faculty was established in 1931 and the first degree was awarded.
It was not until the Melbourne Age newspaper offered to endow a chair that Brian Lewis was appointed foundation professor of Architecture in 1947.