Key 22: The Professors' Houses 1884
The increasing inconvenience of the professors apartments in the Quadrangle, the growth in the numbers of professors, the Registrar's desire to live close to his work and the need to free up more space for administration and student services led the University to seek grants from the Government to build new professorial houses in the grounds.
In 1884 the recently demolished Registrar's house and one for Professor Nanson (Mathematics) were completed near Tin Alley. In 1887 six more were built, five on a north south axis along what is now Professors' Walk facing the South Lawn and a sixth near the Medical precinct, where the Barry building now stands, facing the Lake.
Only Professor Nanson's house, last occupied by Professor Hartung (Chemistry 1928 -1953) survives, much extended and remodelled, as the Staff Club, University House.