This guide to engineering-related collections at the University of Melbourne Archives was prepared in commemoration of the Melbourne School of Engineering's 150th anniversary.

University of Melbourne Engineering School Laboratory, circa 1901, University of Melbourne Photographs collection, 2017.0071.00273

The Melbourne School of Engineering was established in 1861 and was the first of its kind in Australia. As such, it occupies an important place in the history of the development and teaching of engineering in this country.

For these reasons, the UMA holds a wealth of material relating to the study and practice of engineering. For instance, the UMA holds the original blueprints for AGM Michell's crankless engines, the papers of Professor Charles Moorhouse, Sir Walter Bassett and Sir Ronald East. The extensive collection of official papers from the School of Engineering includes minutes, correspondence, lecture notes and photographs. Finally, the UMA holds a large number of collections from engineering firms such as Thompsons Castlemaine, John Monash's Reinforced Concrete and Monier Pipe Co and Robinson Bros & Co.

Collections related to mining are discussed in the subject guide for mining. For in-depth research projects further searches of the online database and consultation with the UMA reference staff is recommended.