How to apply
To apply, complete the form and then take the form plus some photo ID to one of our libraries.
Membership does not include access to electronic resources or inter-library loans.
However members of the general public can visit one of our Library branches to access many of our online subscription resources via a specific computer. These resources are made available in the Library branches under special licences provided by the publishers. You can ask a librarian to direct you to the assigned public access computer.
Membership application form (PDF) You will need departmental permission.
You can borrow 30 items with 28 loan periods, high-use material and media. You can borrow 10 items with 28 day loan periods including media items.
Recommended: If you are filling out the membership form online, the Chrome browser provides the best experience to do this.
|Member type||Borrowing rights|
|Staff member, no longer working with the University of Melbourne, with at least 15 years of employment.||You can borrow 10 items with 28 day loan periods including media.|
|Visiting scholar or associated academic staff.||You can borrow 100 items including journals, high-use material and media.|
|Honours or postgraduate student who is not enrolled yet or has deferred.||You will need departmental permission. You can borrow 30 items with 28 day loans, high use materials and media.|
|University of Melbourne higher degree student who is not enrolled yet or has deferred.||
You will need departmental permission.|
You can borrow 60 items with 28 day loan periods, high-use material and media.
|Staff member of an affiliated organisation (includes Melbourne Theatre Company)||You can borrow 10 items with 28 day loan periods including media. List of affiliated organisations (see below)|
You are eligible for a complimentary membership if you are a staff member at the following affiliated organisations below:
- Austin Health
- Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute (Baker IDI)
- Bio21 Molecular Science and Biotechnology Institute
- Burnet Institute
- Buxton Contemporary
- Centre for Eye Research Australia (CERA)
- Doherty Institute
- (The) Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
- International House
- Janet Clarke Hall
- LH Martin Institute
- Margaret Lawrence Gallery
- Medley Hall
- Melbourne Bioinformatics
- Melbourne Brain Centre
- Melbourne Business School
- Melbourne Centre for Nanofabrication
- Melbourne Epicentre
- Melbourne Genomics Health Alliance
- Melbourne Health
- Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research
- Melbourne Neuropsychiatry Centre
- Murdoch Children's Research Institute
- National Ageing Research Institute (NARI)
- Newman College
- North Western Mental Health
- Northern Health
- Nossal Institute for Global Health
- Ormond College
- Orygen, The National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health
- Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Queen's College
- Research Unit for Indigenous Arts and Cultures (RUIAC)
- Sir Peter MacCallum Department of Oncology
- St Hilda's College
- St Mary's College
- St Vincent's Hospital
- St Vincent's Institute (SVI)
- The Ian Potter Museum of Art
- The Wilin Centre
- Trinity College
- University College
- Walter and Eliza Hall Institute (WEHI)
- Western Health
If you aren't eligible for a complimentary membership you can choose to pay for a membership.