Due to the New Student Precinct Project the collections listed here are currently in offsite storage. Limited material may be available for viewing on the Parkville campus, please send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have one of the largest map collections in Australia which includes:
- Several hundred Geographic Information System (GIS) datasets and digital maps,
- More than 15,000 historic hard copy aerial photographs,
- More than 5,000 general and thematic atlases,
- Plans of major cities,
- Digitised historical maps,
- Books and reference works, and
- More than 100,000 printed maps.
Access the Map Collection
GIS Data and Digital Maps
We provide access to several hundred GIS and digital map datasets.
We hold over 15,000 aerial photos of Melbourne and Victoria.
Rare and Historical Maps
We have a collection of over 15,000 rare and historical maps, many related to the history of Melbourne.
Topographic and Geological Maps
- Over 700 topographic printed map series, at scales between 1:1 000 000 and 1:25 000, and
- Over 20,000 maps covering geological and geophysical themes.
Land and Soil Reports
Our collection of reports on land use and classification for Victorian and Australia includes:
- Land Conservation Council studies,
- Soil Conservation Authority reports, and
- CSIRO studies.
Melbourne, Victoria and Australia
Our collection focuses on Melbourne, Victoria and Australia and includes:
- Large scale cadastral plans,
- Aerial photographs,
- Maps of administrative boundaries, subdivision plans and goldfield maps,
- Geological and soil maps, conservation and planning studies,
- Historical maps,
- Topographic maps, and
- Specialised thematic maps.
We also have comprehensive topographic maps of the world and many on themes such as:
- Political boundaries,
- Vegetation types,
- Geology and soils,
- Language groups, and
- Energy resources.
Our collection strengths include:
- East Asia,
- South-East Asia,
- The Middle East,
- The British Isles,
- Central America, and
- The Pacific region.
We provide research consultations for University of Melbourne staff members and graduate students. Arrange an appointment with one of our experts via Book a research consultation.
If we do not have the data or other resources you need, make a request.
We can help you find and use the maps and data in our collection.
TUTORIALS AND LECTURES
We can provide tutorials and lectures on topic such as how to find and use maps and spatial data.
UNIVERSITY DIGITISATION CENTRE
The University Digitisation Centre provides advice and a range of digitisation services to the University community.
You usually cannot borrow items from the Map Collection, but contact us to make a special request to borrow an item.