You can request most items when they are on loan. A due date appears next to items in the catalogue when they are on loan.
You can also place a request if the item has the following statuses: on hold shelf, on display new, in transit, missing or in repair.
When returned the item is put aside for you to collect.
If there is more than one person in the queue the borrowing period changes to 1 week.
Items that can be requested
- 7 day loans *Exception is Southbank media items.
- 28 loans
- 90 day loans
When the item is returned
When the item is returned it is put on the hold shelf at the owning library, or the library that you selected if the item is from another campus.
90 day loans can be recalled early
The current borrower could be required to return the book early so you might be able to borrow it sooner.
How to request an item in the catalogue
- Search the catalogue for the item you want.
- If the item is on loan (the status of the item shows as a date) click the 'Request' button.
- Log in at the 'Single Sign On' screen using your username and password if you're from the University of Melbourne. If you're not from the university click the 'Login as a visitor' button and type your name and barcode.
- Select which library you will collect the item from if its an off-campus item. (Books on campus need to collected from the library they belong to).
- Click the 'Submit book request' button.
- If there's more than 1 copy of the item you will need to select a copy.
- Click on "Request selected item".
View or cancel your requests
Log into your library borrowing record to see the status of holds, as well as cancelling some, or all of the items.
Notification that your request is ready to collect
We email you when your requested item is ready to collect.
How long we keep your hold for
We keep your item on the hold shelf for five days for a 28 or 90 day loan, and three days for a 7 day loan. This includes days where the library is open and this varies between branches. Please check opening hours for details.
Where to collect requests
|Library||Where to collect holds|
|Baillieu||High Use area (Self service collection)|
|Brownless Biomedical||High Use area (Self service collection)|
|Giblin Eunson Business, Economics & Education||High Use area (Self service collection)|
|Law||High Use area (Self service collection)|
|Veterinary Science at Parkville||Service desk|
|Veterinary Science at Werribee||Service desk|
Hold requests for self service collection are filed under the first three letters of your surname.