What is an eTextbook?
An eTextbook is a digital version of a published textbook. eTextbooks are easy to access via different devices (mobile, tablet, PC etc.), environmentally friendly, promote collaborative learning, and offer features that can enhance the learning experience.
Some advantages include:
- instant access to content
- search, highlight and annotating functions
- ease of purchase through the LMS
How do eTextbooks work?
Subject coordinators can provide students with links to published eTextbooks to purchase for their subjects on the LMS. We offer eTextbooks via the online platform, Perusall.
What is Persuall?
Perusall is a collaborative eTextbook platform. To provide your students with access to eTextbooks to purchase, it requires you to create an online course, add eTextbooks by searching their catalogue of available titles and then share the course link with your students.
Popular Perusall features include the ability to annotate your online readings and share these notes collaboratively. Subject coordinators also have the option of uploading your own readings* to your Perusall subject so students have access to a suite of materials. Perusall also has extensive interactive reading and assessment features.
* Ensure you own the copyright or creative license to upload readings with appropriate references
Note: If you intend your students to use the Perusall functionality in your teaching practice, it is advised that students purchase through Perusall rather than other channels (eg. publisher websites).
- How do I create a link to the eTextbook in my LMS subject?
How do students purchase an eTextbook?
- Student clicks on the link you have made live in your LMS subject
- Student registers an account with Perusall and enters the Persusall course code you have provided (e.g. ABCD – AB1CD)
- Students are now enrolled in your Perusall Course and can access the Documents folder to purchase any eTextbooks you have added to your course.
What are my options if I can’t find an eTextbook on Perusall?
If the title is unavailable, the Readings Online team will then try to source an eBook version for you, or organise print copies to be added to the library's High Use collection if an online copy is not available.
Can I upload a readings pack?
No, Perusall is a platform that contains textbooks from selected academic publishers.
- Further support