Note: Please be aware that the how-to access instructions may change in the future.
Step 1. Search VitalSource Bookshelf for your eTextbook
1. Go to the Unimelb VitalSource storefront.
2. Search for your eTextbook and copy the hyperlink.
3. Submit a support request to Learning Environments, ensuring you paste the eTextbook hyperlink under 'Further Details'. Learning Environments will then create a link to the eTextbook in your Canvas subject
Step 2. Setting up Perusall in your Canvas subject (if eTextbook is not available via VitalSource)
1. Go to your Canvas subject
2. Click on Settings in the subject menu
3. Go to the Navigation tab
4. Drag Perusall from the ‘hide from students’ list to where you want it placed in the subject navigation area
5. Click Save
6. Click on Perusall in the subject navigation
8. Set up your Perusall course following this guide
Note: We strongly recommend that you set the Enrolment Estimate and Target Groups Size once the Census date has passed and enrolment numbers are stable. It is recommended that you do not set up any readings or eTextbooks before these settings are populated correctly. These settings are found in Perusall under: Settings > Grouping. Following this advice will ensure you have more balanced groupings for your Perusall activity.
Students do not need to be added into the Perusall course as your students will automatically be added as they click on the Perusall link from the Canvas subject.
Note: We do not recommend adding a Perusall assignment to your Canvas subject as the pass back of grades to Canvas is unreliable.
Step 3. Find your eTextbook on Perusall
1. Click on Perusall from the navigation bar in your Canvas subject
2. As you land on the ‘Get Started” page on Perusall, click on the 'Documents' tab to begin adding in the textbook
3. Click on the Add button on the top right, then click on ‘Textbook’
4. A window will pop up, you can search for your eTextbook title by entering details in the fields
5. After finding the title, click ‘Request title’
More information on eTextbooks can be found on the Persuall Support Website
Can't find your eTextbook on Perusall or VitalSource Bookshelf?
If you can't find the title(s) you're after on either eTextbook platform, please complete this webform so we can double-check Perusall and VitalSource, as well as keep track of what you're after and help improve our future offerings.
If the eTextbook is definitely not available, contact Readings Online with the following details:
- Prescribed or recommended reading
- Number of enrolments
- Course code
Reading Online will then try to source an eBook version or organise print copies for the library High Use collection if an online copy is not available.