The Library subscribes to substantial collections of online journals, ebooks, databases and websites that students and staff can access for free, from their own devices, both on and off campus. You can login to many of these resources with your University of Melbourne account.
We recommend Lean Library for automatic access
Install the Lean Library browser extension in the web browser on your computer. You can then use Google, or any other search tool, to find information. Lean Library will log you in automatically when you land on a page we subscribe to.
Start searching in Discovery to see most of our resources
Most resources are listed in Discovery, the Library’s main search engine. It will direct you to our subscriptions with minimal logins.
Login with OpenAthens if you see this option on the web
On some vendor sites (like JSTOR) you can login via OpenAthens using your University account. Look for the Institutional Login, Library Login or OpenAthens login options like those pictured:
Public Access in the Library
If you are not a current student or staff member you can still access some of our resources on dedicated Public Access PCs within our Library branches. Members of the general public can walk into our branches during business hours to:
- Search Discovery
- Search our Library Catalogue
- Access our online subscriptions
Search our collections off campus
There is no off-campus access to our online resources for members of the general public however you can still:
What is OpenAthens?
OpenAthens is an authentication service, it allows you to use your UniMelb account to access subscription-based electronic resources both on and off campus. OpenAthens will be available from the 10th December 2019.
How will OpenAthens affect me?
- If you are accessing resources via Discovery Search, there will be no change.
- You may now directly login to some online databases/journals with OpenAthens authentication.
- If you save or share links in the LMS or other systems, you will need to update your links.
- An easier method to directly access e-resources is with the Lean Library Extension, which saves your OpenAthens credentials.
- You will need to change the proxy url in your reference management software (EndNote, Zotero, ReadCube).
OpenAthens offers a single sign-on, integrated with the University of Melbourne's authentication service, to access the library’s subscription-based content.
- Staff and students are able to access e-resources across service provider sites with just one login.
- OpenAthens replaces Ezproxy, our previous service, because OpenAthens single sign-on approach is more secure, reliable, and transparent than Ezproxy's IP recognition.
Where to Search
Search tools and collection discovery
Find a specific item or source, such as a database or ejournal.
- Discovery searches our collection for books, journals, images, articles and multimedia. Items can be placed on hold or requested via Discovery.
- Catalogue searches our collection of books, ebooks, maps, media
- Databases A-Z lists all Unimelb Libraries databases. Search the list or filter it by database subject, type or vendor.
- eJournals A-Z lists all Unimelb Libraries electronic journals. The list of e-journals is searchable.
- Institutional Repository contains digital versions of research outputs from the staff and students of the University of Melbourne.
- Digitised Collections contains digital images drawn from the University’s extensive collections of original materials.
- University of Melbourne Archives is one of Australia’s largest research archives, open to all.
Connecting the library to your browser
The Lean Library browser extension makes it simple to access academic articles, journals and databases licensed by the Libraries while searching the web. Install the browser extension via the Lean Library website and begin using it in your workflow.
If you use software to manage your references or papers (i.e. EndNote, Zotero or ReadCube Papers) you may like to configure it to connect to our systems to find and import references and content easily. Use the settings below in your software and if you have issues or need more details please contact us for support.
OpenURL resolver: https://unimelb.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/sfxlcl41
Authentication URL: https://go.openathens.net/redirector/unimelb.edu.au?url=
OpenAthens Federation EntityID: https://idp.unimelb.edu.au/openathens
When you are using Google Scholar off-campus you should set your preferences so that you can link to full-text content available through the Library:
- Go to Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com
- Click the Settings link at the top-left of the page.
- Click the Library links option to the left.
- Enter: 'University of Melbourne Library' in the search box and click the search button.
- Tick the checkbox next to the option: 'University of Melbourne Library - Find It @ Unimelb'.
- Click the 'Save' button.
'Find It @ Unimelb' links will then appear on the Google Scholar search results screen that you can click to access the full-text if it is available through the library.
OpenAthens collects detailed statistics on which resources are being accessed by users. The library uses aggregate data to evaluate the usage of licensed resources and to better meet the informational needs of the UniMelb community. The library will never share this data.
OpenAthens connects with UniMelb's central directory so you can use your UniMelb username and password to access licensed online resources. SAML-based authentication keeps your UniMelb credentials safe while you securely access online resources.
OpenAthens has mechanisms in place to quickly identify potential data security breaches or cyberattacks. UniMelb Library staff is alerted when unusual behavior is detected. If OpenAthens detects that an individual account has been compromised, that account is temporarily disabled, which prevents a provider from having to shut down access for our entire institution.
What is released to vendors
Some vendors require UniMelb to release an unique identifier or other unique information for each person connecting to their system. OpenAthens manages this by releasing information from your UniMelb login which may include your name, your official University of Melbourne email address, and/or your UniMelb username to the Vendor. Listed below are vendors who currently require some unique information. You can check each vendor's privacy and security policy when you login for the first time or at any time via the links below.
Merge your eBook Central account
eBook Central users will need to merge their existing account with the new account that will be created by OpenAthens. If you have an existing ebook Central username follow see this article for instructions on linking your old and new accounts.
Merge your EBSCO or Discovery account
Our new Single Sign-on method automatically creates a personal folder for you in Discovery and other EBSCO databases. If you previously created a personal account for Discovery or EBSCO databases you can follow these instructions to merge this data into your new account. If you would prefer not to merge your accounts you can retain both and follow these instructions to switch between accounts.