What is Zotero?
Zotero is reference management software designed to collect, store, share, manage and cite sources. Zotero helps organise and keep track of research and in the preparation of your work.
Why use Zotero?
- Zotero is free, open-source, can be used across multiple computers and after you have left the university.
- Very easy to use.
- Zotero Connector scrapes websites to create records.
- Supports a large library of citation styles.
- Has a single standalone application for users of all operating systems. The Zotero Connector for Firefox, Chrome, Edge or Safari, allows saving to the Zotero application or zotero.org in a single click.
Zotero Online Account
This is the cloud-based version of Zotero. You can log into it and create an account easily. Use the online account to sync your Zotero library to the cloud and between computers. It also allows for sharing of references between accounts.
Which reference manager is right for you?
Update your settings - Open Athens
The University of Melbourne Library has moved to a new method of electronic authentication which provides access to databases and other subscription material. Open Athens has replaced the eziproxy authentication system which means you need to make some update to your Zotero settings.
Update your 'Library Link' url
Library Link is a fast way to the full text for references in your library with the University of Melbourne Library subscriptions. The access url has changed, you must update it following these instructions.
Check your browser's Proxy Settings
The Zotero browser extension can save University access credentials when you visit academic websites. If you have the old eziproxy settings saved, you will have trouble accessing these pages after the changeover to the new system.
Find your Zotero browser extension Preferences in your browser:
- Chrome - right click the webscraper icon, click 'Options' from the menu
- Firefox - right click the webscraper icon, click Preferences from the menu
- Safari - click and hold webscraper icon, click Preferences from the menu
Go to Proxies and either:
- uncheck 'Enable proxy redirection' under the Proxy settings, or
- remove any urls containing 'unimelb' and 'eziproxy' from the Configured Proxies box by selecting them and clicking the minus ( - ) button below the list.