Update - EndNote 'Find FullText' feature is no longer reliable
We have changed our authentication system to Open Athens, however EndNote is not compatible with it. This means that the 'Find FullText' feature found within EndNote is no longer fully functional. We are currently working on the issue. In the meantime, we have suggested other useful methods to import PDF's into EndNote below. Please ensure you are using the correct Open URL Link in your EndNote system preferences.
Import a folder of PDF files
You can import a folder of PDF files to quickly create a group set with groups of references corresponding to the sub-folders:
- Select: File > Import > Folder
- In the ‘Import Folder’ window select:
- Include files in subfolders, and
- Create a Group Set for this import
- Import Option: PDF
Automatically import PDFs from a preset folder
You can set your preferences to enable EndNote to automatically import PDFs from a folder on your computer:
- Select: Edit > Preferences > PDF Handling
- Tick the checkbox: Enable automatic importing
- Click the Select Folder button to choose the folder on your computer where you will place PDF files.
Open URL + Lean Library
- This way of retrieving full text files relies on a browser plugin Lean Library. Lean Library brings our collections to you seamlessly. It offers one of the friendliest ways to find full text such as PDF files.
- You may sometimes need to use one of the other methods in addition to this method.
- Now and then you may also need to request an item via interlibrary loan if the library does not usually subscribe to the journal in an existing database collection.
- With this method, you can locate only one PDF at a time.
- The PDF does not attach to the record in your library automatically. You will need to drag it across or attach the PDF manually.
Follow these steps to install and find full texts via Lean Library::
- Install Lean Library in your preferred web browser.
- Set Lean Library to recognise that you come from University of Melbourne
- Click on the 'Open Link' icon in the EndNote toolbar or right-click on the reference in the reference window > URL > Open URL
- What happens next depends on a variety of factors and settings. Follow the prompts to complete the search.
Open URL Link and SFX
- This method of retrieving full text may already be familiar to you.
- It relies on the library's SFX software (Find it @ UniMelb) and let you access journal articles and ebooks when the Journal/ISSN is indexed.
- It complements the Open URL + Lean Library method mentioned above..
- Using this method, you an retrieve only one PDF at a time.
- The PDF will not be automatically added to your reference. You will need to drag it across or attach it to the record in your library manually.
Follow these steps to find full texts via SFX:
- Make sure the correct path is added in your EndNote preferences. Click on Edit > Preferences > Find Full Text
- At OpenURL path enter: https://unimelb.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/sfxlcl41
- Authenticate with URL box: leave blank. EndNote is not currently compatible with our changed authentication system, Open Athens.
- Select: References > URL > Open URL Link or by right-clicking on the reference in the reference window.
- A browser window will open Find It @ UniMelb
- Information about the availability of the journal in various database collections will be displayed
- Click GO to access the required online source
- If an online source produces an error message or does not locate the appropriate item, remove the information in the Year, Volume, Issue and pages boxes and click GO again
- This will attempt to find the resource correctly
Find Full Text
Open Athens, Melbourne University's authentication system, is not compatible with EndNote and will therefore return fewer full text results when using the Find Full Text feature. However, you may sometimes find it useful when there is open accessible literature in your sample. If a PDF is found, it will be automatically attached to the reference in your library.
EndNote can carry out up to 1000 full text searches at a time, however the authentication system is limited to allow 50 requests per authenticated user in any 30 minute period. Systematic or excessive downloading is not permitted.
The settings for the Find Full Text feature are found under Edit > Preferences > Find Full Text. You will need to leave the 'Authenticate with' setting blank.
To search for full text:
- Select a reference(s).
- Click the Find Full Text toolbar icon
- EndNote will attempt to locate a PDF copy of the reference(s).
- Results will be displayed under Find Full Text in the Groups pane.
- Articles can be viewed by clicking the Open File toolbar icon
Attach PDF files manually
Files, such as PDFs and Word documents, obtained through other means can be attached to records by using the References > File Attachments > Attach File menu. This is also available by selecting the reference and right clicking. Files can be viewed by clicking the Open File toolbar icon.