About



The Giblin Eunson Library supports the teaching, learning and research needs of the Faculty of Business and Economics, and the Melbourne Graduate School of Education. Its collection support the activities of undergraduates, postgraduates, academics and researchers.

Spanning three floors, Giblin Eunson Library is one of the largest libraries on Parkville campus, providing individual and group study spaces including bookable project rooms, a recording pod, and a separate graduate student space for University of Melbourne students. The Giblin Eunson Library opened on 25 July 2011 and  is named after Professor Lyndurst Falkiner Giblin (1872-1951) and Warwick Eunson (1907-1983).

Professor Lyndhurst F. Giblin

Commerce was established at the University of Melbourne, with Douglas Berry Copland, formerly the Professor of Commerce in Tasmania, being appointed to the chair. This was followed in 1927 by the creation of the Ritchie Chair of Economics, a research chair established originally in the Faculty of Arts through the generosity of R.W.Ritchie of Penshurst in memory of his son Captain W.B.Ritchie killed in World War 1. The inaugural incumbent of this chair in 1930 was Professor Lyndhurst Falkiner Giblin.

Read more

Lyndhurst Falkiner Giblin
Warwick Eunson

Warwick Eunson

Warwick Eunson was the Principal of the Melbourne Teachers’ College 1962-1972 and a visionary in the field of librarianship. He trained at the Melbourne Teachers’ College 1928-29 and taught in primary and secondary schools. As a teacher he encouraged his students to research by creating and facilitating access to a collection of organized resources including books, pamphlets and newspaper cuttings. In recognition of his work, the Department sent him to Sydney where he trained as a librarian under John Metcalfe.

Read more