You can use the Online Search feature in EndNote to search and download references from some library catalogues and databases.
Connection files tell EndNote how to connect to databases and library catalogues.
EndNote comes with over 4,000 connection files and University of Melbourne staff and students can use those for publicly available catalogues and databases, for example:
- The University of Melbourne Library Catalogue,
- Web of Science (on campus only),
- The Library of Congress catalogue, and
- Over 2,000 other library catalogues.
You can add additional connection files from the EndNote website. Instructions are provided on the site.
Connection Files on the EndNote website
The University of Melbourne Library catalogue has changed it's server address. This has caused the connection file supplied with all versions of EndNote to produce a "Host Unreachable" error when it is selected for use.
To fix the catalogue connection file in EndNote:
- Close EndNote.
- Download this file.
- Right click (Mac users: control + click) on the link to save the file to disk.
- Save the file in the EndNote Connections folder on your computer.
- PC - C:\Program files\EndNote X5\Connections
- Mac – Applications/EndNote X6/Connections
Staff without admin access to their computer (ie University staff) may need to contact ITS to install the file. The file can be saved to My Documents\EndNote\Connections\ without requiring admin access. This file will then be used instead of the file in the Program files directory.
- Double-click the connection file to open it in EndNote.
- In EndNote, click "File" Menu and choose "Save as". Remove the word "copy" and click "Save".
- Click on "File" Menu and choose "Close Connection".
|University of Melbourne Library catalogue||Download|
This connection file fixes the "Host Unreachable" error when connecting to the University of Melbourne catalogue.
Added July 2013.
|Libraries Australia||Download a zipped copy of the connection file|
This connection file fixes the "Error searching for records" when connecting to Libraries Australia.
Added August 2015.
A username and password is required to use this connection file: